A good 18th century Tavern Clock by Daniel Ray of Sudbury 1700 - 1772. The movement serviced and case restored.
The 29" white painted wooden dial (including bezel) with inner Roman numerals and outer Arabic numbers, with very fine pierced gilt brass hands. Both the minute and hour hand being counter balanced and being of a very rare style - the hour hand mimicking that of a longcase.
The eared trunk signed DANIEL RAY, SUDBURY, the trunk door having a reverse arch top, to conform with the dial, and having a painted scene after HOGARTH entitled "Satan, sin and death", sandwiched between intricate rococo and rose designs. The moulded base with chisel foot decorated with gilt floral tracery. The sides with a Griffin & Claw design framed with gilt latticework. The original Tavern movement with tapered plates, & 5-wheel train, accompanied by original weight, pendulum & key, runs for 9 days. The movement has been serviced in our workshop and is guaranteed for 2 years.
What's very rare with this clock is that we have very good provenance for it..probably from day one! As can be seen in "The East Anglian Miscellany". The clock first hung in KENTWELL HALL. The image on the door being a copy of Hogarths unfinished oil of "Satan, Sin and Death", which is an illustration to John Milton's poem "Paradise lost". The then owners of Kentwell Hall, no doubt, intended the moral message to be directed at the staff!
In the late 19th century, the clock was gifted to The British School, in Mill Lane, Sudbury - and more recently was given to the Sudbury museum. Mention is also made in the article of the maker, Daniel Ray, whose tombstone may be seen in "St.Gregorys" Churchyard, close to the west door, having died May 23rd 1772 aged 72 years.
Fully serviced and guaranteed for one year.